Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Holy Saturday Easter Vigil, An All Day Event

On Saturday a couple of us got tickets to the Easter Vigil at the Vatican. I was super excited for this as I have always wondered what it be like to attend mass in the Basilica. We arrived at St. Peter's square around 2pm and the line had already begun to form. We found a spot and sat down to begin our wait. We met up with some of our friends we made during the Field Day and that made our group even larger. We had snacks and brought some of our HW with us; I was able to finish my sketchbook.
As it got closer and closer to the time they would start letting people into the Basilica, 7pm, the line got more crowded and a bit more dangerous. One highlight was seeing a Sister deliver pizza to some people in the line. When the gates were opened is when I was scared. The crowd was pushing so much I was being crushed. I felt that it was a very un-Christian approach to the Easter season.
Once we got into the Basilica we managed to get a seat about half way into the church and 4 seats on the aisle. So that means we were about 5ft from the Pope when he entered and exited. It was a new experience to have the Mass entirely in Latin. It was nice though because I could keep up and understand what was going on. The Mass was only about 3 hrs long and we made it back to the dorms around 12am but after an entire day at St. Peter's I was exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment